Home   Forum    Forum   Help About Arcade Calendar Gallery Gallery Gallery Gallery Login Register  

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
16/11/2018, 02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ShoutBox

09/10/2018, 03:52 PM CordlezToaster - Where is everyone?
14/07/2018, 07:20 PM BoHiCa - ouch
03/07/2018, 10:01 AM Syklone - Poke
07/02/2018, 03:10 PM Chalice - Hey can someone pls help me find Norton...he's lost!
23/01/2018, 10:25 PM BoHiCa - sometimes lol
15/01/2018, 09:50 PM Darkkalen - This thing on?
08/12/2017, 08:42 PM Deadalus - FUCK FUCK FUCK
07/12/2017, 05:57 PM BoHiCa - Well that didnt work lol sorry for interruptions. but if we can move to the new version it will fix 
05/12/2017, 11:20 PM BoHiCa - I wouldn't do that, I have and broke shit....
05/12/2017, 04:40 PM Syklone - Testing test test

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Phone call  (Read 2866 times)
Carples

Evil Genius

Awards Awards Awards
« on: 15/11/2011, 06:09 PM »

So I recieved an interesting phone call today. Went something like this
Answer phone
"hello"
"HELLO"
Ringing tone
"Hello is this Mr Edwards"
"Yes"
"I'm ringing about your computer"
"Are You Huh?"
Having no problem, or orders pending I said
"Its fine good bye"

I should have played along would have been interesting to hear the speil.
But makes me think I should make the number unlisted

DonutKing
AWARDED - MR DEATH INC 2010 - FOR GAYEST PICTURE IN A THREAD
Legacy Veteran

I could fit two of you in my jeans. Idiot.

WWW Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #1 on: 15/11/2011, 06:22 PM »

they were most likely about to tell you that your machine has a virus, and to get you to download their 'antivirus' software which is basically a remote control app, then ask for your credit card details to 'remove' the virus

A friend of my mum's got caught by this, she got as far as letting them remote control her PC but when the bloke asked for her credit card she said she wanted to ask someone else first and he got stroppy - at which point she called me. luckily she didn't give them any details and she only uses the pc to chat to her son in the USA on facebook so there was nothing on there to steal in the first place.

YosimeteSam
« Reply #2 on: 15/11/2011, 06:52 PM »

LOL, much like the OS call to ask you about your windows version! I let them spiel it off,then politely tell them to go and get fucked and they are nothing but scammers and they can blow me. Have not had a call in months... Hmmm might be blacklisted on their help desk Kiss
Virgil83
Clan Vice-Captain

Have you READ the DI Forums!?!

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2011, 07:00 PM »

LOL Sammy... perfect way to deal with em...

Yeah they seemed to be targeting Toowoomba a while back, I got a lot of reports of calls from the "Windows Control Centre" or some shit like that... then I got a couple of calls myself... had tremendous fun with them... basically they were using Remote Assistance to take control of your PC, trying to make it all seem legit... but yeah, it was a lot of fun stringing them along "The Start Menu?  Where the fuck is the start menu?  I'm on a fucking Mac!"

YosimeteSam
« Reply #4 on: 15/11/2011, 08:12 PM »

LOL Sammy... perfect way to deal with em...

Yeah they seemed to be targeting Toowoomba a while back, I got a lot of reports of calls from the "Windows Control Centre" or some shit like that... then I got a couple of calls myself... had tremendous fun with them... basically they were using Remote Assistance to take control of your PC, trying to make it all seem legit... but yeah, it was a lot of fun stringing them along "The Start Menu?  Where the fuck is the start menu?  I'm on a fucking Mac!"

Oh nice one mate...I'm on a Mac...Bahahahahaha
Damit
Getting In there and getting Messy
Clan Captain

Why Are You Reading This!!!

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2011, 11:45 PM »

I have had one when i was home one day and bored so i played with them and pretended i knew nothing and had them going for about an hour till i had to leave and kept telling them i put the software on and giving them bogus credit card details etc and going to begging to help for free as my CC wasn't working and i couldn't find the other one and had to go look for it

“You have got to help me. She is trying to kill me with sex. I cannot get out - and I cannot go on!”
inwalda

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #6 on: 16/11/2011, 08:00 AM »

Yeah we had one a while back. He said our computer had automatically sent an error message to Microsoft a week earlier. Funny thing is that we were on holidays a week earlier and the computer had been off for a month. Instant hang up when we told him that

Jthn

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #7 on: 17/11/2011, 07:11 AM »

We get this shit every day at the shop, it's actually a fairly good source of business for us, people getting scammed then coming to us to 'clean' their computers. What's surprising is the amount of seemingly tech savvy people who get sucked in. The common one we see is the Event Viewer scam, where they tell you to pull up the event log and scare you with all the common warning and error messages displayed there - They then ask for your credit card info so that they can 'fix these issues'.

They've called me a couple times, if I've got time to spare I just try to waste as much of their time as possible - put on a horrible russian accent and play dumb for as long as I can.

YosimeteSam
« Reply #8 on: 17/11/2011, 07:39 AM »

^ Well with that sig of yours.... I'm not so sure LMAO Kiss
BoHiCa
Clan Vice-Captain

This is my cup of care \_/ oh look its empty!

WWW Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #9 on: 17/11/2011, 11:49 AM »

I also have enjoyed only the one call from them.

Lady rang me at 1950hrs whilst im eatin my dinner (private no. and not overseas), when she announced i had a virus i played dumb also, then begun to ask her which computer..... which then had here stumped, then preceded to inform her she was a lyin scamming bitch and should get a real fuckin job... at which point the phone was takin from me....(my wife didn't find it funny!!!)

15 minutes, (sydney number), I get a call from this ladies manager, informing me i was unprofessional and she was only doin her job, well he fuckin copt the lot as this time i took the phone outside and began strippin this dude, down, quotin the act of which he was in breach and if wanted to place an official complaint he should call the ACA, and ACCC, and inform  them of the language I used, at this point, he hung up on me..... so i redialled the last number for the next hour after maskin mine and told him how unprofesssional it was of him to hang up on me....  by the 4th call back to him he promised never to call again...

Undecided

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck!
Syklone
AWARD: THE AI-FONDLER (27 Nov 2010)
Legacy Veteran

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #10 on: 17/11/2011, 11:54 AM »

Can I have his number so I can call him when I need to rant on my bad days too ? Smiley

This space for rent.
-NeOpHyTe-

Brown bear is wrong!!

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #11 on: 29/11/2011, 01:32 PM »

thats some funny shit there bo - this place is a good one for a laugh as well!

http://thescambaiter.com/forum/

maminerr
« Reply #12 on: 03/12/2011, 10:02 AM »

Ive been asked on a date before by one of those people :|
We used to get them calling the house all the time asking if our windows machines are ok and to visit a website so they can check for us until I told them we only used linux and was going to call the po-po.
DonutKing
AWARDED - MR DEATH INC 2010 - FOR GAYEST PICTURE IN A THREAD
Legacy Veteran

I could fit two of you in my jeans. Idiot.

WWW Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #13 on: 03/12/2011, 10:40 AM »

That's hilarious... using Linux on your home pc... LMFAO! those scammers will believe anything

Yunique
« Reply #14 on: 07/12/2011, 03:17 PM »

Had one a few months ago, pulled the old "What do you mean my computer, Im at my computer"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc