Home   Forum    Forum   Help About Arcade Calendar Gallery Gallery Gallery Gallery Login Register  

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
17/12/2018, 12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ShoutBox

09/10/2018, 03:52 PM CordlezToaster - Where is everyone?
14/07/2018, 07:20 PM BoHiCa - ouch
03/07/2018, 10:01 AM Syklone - Poke
07/02/2018, 03:10 PM Chalice - Hey can someone pls help me find Norton...he's lost!
23/01/2018, 10:25 PM BoHiCa - sometimes lol
15/01/2018, 09:50 PM Darkkalen - This thing on?
08/12/2017, 08:42 PM Deadalus - FUCK FUCK FUCK
07/12/2017, 05:57 PM BoHiCa - Well that didnt work lol sorry for interruptions. but if we can move to the new version it will fix 
05/12/2017, 11:20 PM BoHiCa - I wouldn't do that, I have and broke shit....
05/12/2017, 04:40 PM Syklone - Testing test test

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Recomendations  (Read 23578 times)
bageled
Veteran Member

Consoles are the future

Awards Awards Awards
« on: 22/01/2010, 12:17 PM »

You guys may remember this old thread I started.

It's one I have gone back to often to check names of books recommended by you lot.

SO I decided to start a new one with a more meaningful title.

If you want to recommend a book or book series, please do so here.

bageled
Veteran Member

Consoles are the future

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2010, 12:20 PM »

I'll go first shall i? Wink

Been reading the Anne McCaffery Dragons of Pern lately.

I studied the first one at uni and I didn't remember enjoying it much, all I remembered was there was a very subtle rape scene I hadn't even noticed, but that my tutor talked about a lot, we studied it from a feminist pov.

Anyways, I'm into my third one, and really enjoying it, so yeah.....Dragons of Pern, pretty good so far

Paradox

Epic Avatar :D

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2010, 12:21 PM »

Is this the one where dragons have orgasms and their riders feel it?

Jstar

Oh Hai Der Nubcake <3

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2010, 12:26 PM »

Hmmm. Well this is an If, If you havn't read LOTR you should. Otherwise i recomend any thing by Mathew Reilly.

DonutKing
AWARDED - MR DEATH INC 2010 - FOR GAYEST PICTURE IN A THREAD
Legacy Veteran

I could fit two of you in my jeans. Idiot.

WWW Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2010, 12:28 PM »

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell, he writes fiction/semi fiction in historical settings. His Sharpe series, based around the Napoleonic wars are good but I like his more medieval type series best, such as the Grail Quest and the Saxon Stories. The latest book in the latter series, called The Burning Land was recently released and I'm about to start reading it.

also the Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galaxy series is excellent, lots of quirky, eye-opening humour. The 4th and 5th in the series fell a little flat but the first 2 are excellent, the 3rd is good. I've got the newest one, "And Another Thing", written by a different author, although I haven't read it yet so I can't comment on it.

Also everybody who considers themselves a gamer should do themselves a favour and pick up "Masters of Doom" by David Kuchner, it tells the stories of Romero and Carmack, from growing up playing on computers, to how they founded id software and made wolfenstein, doom and quake. It's quite well written and not too heavy on the nerdy stuff, an excellent read even if you are only tangentially interested in games.

Chalice
Clan Mascot

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2010, 12:35 PM »

I've recommended David Edding, Feist and Robert Jordan to ya...But have you checked out Sara Douglas's Axis trilogy and the rest of the series that follows...she is an Aussie Author, international best seller an the series is awesome..easily on par with Eddings, Feist and Jordan. - 8 books so far in series  9.5/10

Eric Van Lustbader - The Pearl Saga..Really good read, guys a brilliant writer and these are his first fantasy type books - 3 books in series 9/10

Janny Wurts - she co-wrote 3 books with Feist - The wars of light and shadows - book 1 is The Curse of the Mistwraith -  8 books in series  9/10

read each of these series 20 + times and still enjoy them

That should keep ya going Smiley

I'd be keen to get some new book ideas too so I can read something new...dex recommended the Tamararie series to me and they were excellent too, see dex for details as he sent them to me.

SEE ME IN A YEAR AND YOU CAN READ MY NEW BOOK ..I'll only charge you half price Smiley

Does this rag smell like Chloroform to you?
Dex
AWARD: BitchSlapper Extraordinaire (18 Sep 10)
Legacy Veteran

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #6 on: 22/01/2010, 12:40 PM »

Temeraire:
Good series, short books.

Set during the Napoleonic Wars, but with a little fantasy mixed in. Instead of just fighting with infantry and ships, they also fight from dragons.
Author: Naomi Novik..
I have the ebooks on my PC if anyone wants them.

bageled
Veteran Member

Consoles are the future

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #7 on: 22/01/2010, 12:52 PM »

Two old favorites of mine, I've read them so many times they are like old friends.

David Feintuch, and the Hope series. Great sci fi action, and a very different take on space travel and interglactic human societies, kinda like Hornblower in space. The first two books are the best, and should be read in order.

David Gerrold, best earth invasion story ever. If an alien species was to invade earth, this is how they would do it. One of my favorite parts of this book is the characters go more than a little crazy as they adapt to their new environment. Not to mention the awesome aliens.

Z00111111
Legacy Veteran

P.S. I'm Ceiling Cat

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #8 on: 22/01/2010, 03:17 PM »

Hitch Hikers Guide is brilliant. Strongly recommend it. I read the Trilogy in 4 Parts version, so the first 4 books were combined into one. Then I read the 5th book. They do start to slip a bit, with the last book being quite shitty compared to the First, but they're still all a good read. I laughed out loud alot reading them.

Lord of the Rings, while good, can be hard to read. JRR had a brilliant imagination and paints mental images of his world really well, but I found alot of the dialogue felt out of character and boring. It might have been because I watched the movies first, but I really do feel the movies too JRR's great books and made them even better.

There's a thousand or so page collection of Arthur C Clarke's short stories that I've got that is really good. He's a brilliant writer, whose sci-fi future is feasible and realistic, leading to interesting stories. You do start to notice patterns with his writing, but because it's short stories you can just move onto other books for a few months then go back to it.

i, Robot, by Isaac Asimov is good. It's a few short stories, but like Clarke, they're well thought out and actually feel like an extrapolation of today's technology, despite being written decades ago.

Bageled, what's the book by David Gerrold called?

JEMIMAISAWESOMERTHANJOE
« Reply #9 on: 22/01/2010, 07:31 PM »

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton
Rumble Fish by S. E. hinton
1984 by George Orwell
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Stephen moer

the dont feature dragons or magic or aliens but they are very, very good
naf
« Reply #10 on: 22/01/2010, 07:39 PM »

1984 is awsome, so is brave new world
naf
« Reply #11 on: 22/01/2010, 07:39 PM »

animal farm also
cowcar

naf once tried to moleste me

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #12 on: 22/01/2010, 07:47 PM »

i actually preferred animal farm...

i am also surprised no one has brought up the old classics by HG Wells... War of the worlds i an awesome book. (ignore crappy, scientology boys version..)

naf
« Reply #13 on: 22/01/2010, 07:50 PM »

oh anything by irvine welsh or Jake Arnott is also good..
cowcar

naf once tried to moleste me

Awards Awards Awards
« Reply #14 on: 22/01/2010, 07:51 PM »

ohh good call on Irvine Welsh...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc